Professor Gillian Whitlock, speaking on behalf of the 2012 judging panel, said of Funder's book: 'The judges admired this ambitious novel that moves across continents and decades to remind us that experiences of exile and dislocation have long been part of Australian life.'
In addition to the shortlisted five, the 2012 longlist consisted of:
- Charlotte Wood (Animal People)
- Elliot Perlman (The Street Sweeper)
- Alex Miller (Autumn Laing)
- Kate Grenville (Sarah Thornhill)
- Gail Jones (Five Bells)
- Virginia Duigan (The Precipice)
- Mark Dapin (Spirit House)
- Steven Carroll (The Spirit of Progress).
The Miles Franklin Literary Award was first awarded in 1957. Find out more about the award at the website.